Whether it's a coffee maker, toaster, kettle, or electric stove – you should never leave any of your switched-on electrical appliances unattended. A forgotten iron can do more than just burn your shirt – it can literally cost you your last shirt! Sharpen your awareness of potential hazards:
- Turn off electrical appliances immediately after use.
- Prioritize safety: Only use electrical appliances that bear a recognized quality mark (VDE/GS).
- Avoid leaving devices like TVs or DVD players needlessly in standby mode. This also saves on your electricity bill.
- Take faulty cables and devices out of operation immediately.
- Do not attempt to repair them yourself. Only have defective devices repaired by a professional.
- Use light bulbs with the wattage specified for the lamp.
- Prevent heat buildup: Never cover electric lights with flammable materials, such as fabrics.
- Position heaters in a way that maintains a minimum distance of one meter from all flammable materials.
- Ensure that your electrical installation is regularly inspected (at least every 10 years).
Electrical overload: one-third of all fire damage is caused by electricity.
If you connect a washing machine, vacuum cleaner, kettle, and refrigerator to a single standard power line, don't be surprised if the circuit breaker trips. One outlet, ten consumers!
Here are some possible measures:
- Reduce the load on the outlet by turning off devices. Avoid daisy-chaining multiple power strips.
- Distribute your devices across different circuits, or consider a new installation or expansion of the electrical system.
- Any modifications to the electrical system should only be carried out by a qualified electrician.
- Do not expand wall outlets using multiple socket adaptors. These are not permitted for safety reasons.