Electrical Appliance Hazards in the Household

Elektrogeräte-Gefahrenquellen im Haushalt

Whether it's a coffee maker, toaster, kettle, or electric stove – you should never leave any of your switched-on electrical appliances unattended. A forgotten iron can do more than just burn your shirt – it can literally cost you your last shirt! Sharpen your awareness of potential hazards:

  • Turn off electrical appliances immediately after use.
  • Prioritize safety: Only use electrical appliances that bear a recognized quality mark (VDE/GS).
  • Avoid leaving devices like TVs or DVD players needlessly in standby mode. This also saves on your electricity bill.
  • Take faulty cables and devices out of operation immediately.
  • Do not attempt to repair them yourself. Only have defective devices repaired by a professional.
  • Use light bulbs with the wattage specified for the lamp.
  • Prevent heat buildup: Never cover electric lights with flammable materials, such as fabrics.
  • Position heaters in a way that maintains a minimum distance of one meter from all flammable materials.
  • Ensure that your electrical installation is regularly inspected (at least every 10 years).

Electrical overload: one-third of all fire damage is caused by electricity.

If you connect a washing machine, vacuum cleaner, kettle, and refrigerator to a single standard power line, don't be surprised if the circuit breaker trips. One outlet, ten consumers!

Here are some possible measures:

  • Reduce the load on the outlet by turning off devices. Avoid daisy-chaining multiple power strips.
  • Distribute your devices across different circuits, or consider a new installation or expansion of the electrical system.
  • Any modifications to the electrical system should only be carried out by a qualified electrician.
  • Do not expand wall outlets using multiple socket adaptors. These are not permitted for safety reasons.